1. Study Scheme & Course Selection
  2. Course Add/Drop
  3. Course or Unit Exemption
  4. GE Course Examination
  5. Summer School Programme
  6. General Education Foundation (GEF) Programme


1. Study Scheme & Course Selection

Q1: Can I take more GE courses on top of the General Education (GE) requirement?

Yes, subject to the prevailing course enrolment rules, you are free to enrol in more GE course even after fulfilment of the GE requirement. The extra credits earned will be treated as general electives.

Q2: I failed to select a UGE course even though the class quota was not yet filled. What was wrong?

Possible reasons are:

  • time clashes with other enrolled course;
  • entry of wrong course code;
  • breach of enrolment rules such as total credit ceiling, UGE course ceiling, exclusion of certain majors and course taken; and
  • failure to submit the course enrolment properly on "Chinese University Student Information System" (MyCUHK>CUSIS)

Please check your course selection carefully against the GE enrolment rules and your own timetable prior to submission for course enrolment.

Q3: Are GE course grades calculated in my grade point average (GPA) and degree classifications?

The grades will automatically work forwards your cumulative grade point average. Grade Points calculation and degree classifications are stipulated in Regulation 13 of the General Regulations Governing Full-time Undergraduate Studies.

Q4: If I change my major programme, is there anything I should pay attention to regarding GE?

You should check the student handbook of your admission year for the relevant course enrolment rules. If students of your newly adopted major programme are not allowed to enrol in a GE courses taken by you in the past, the credits earned from that course will not be counted towards GE and you should take another UGE courses to make up for the required units. Though not counted toward GE, the units earned can still be counted as general electives. You may also check with your major programme if the units can be used to fulfil any major requirements.

For more information, please visit: Programme > Study Scheme


2. Course Add/Drop

Q5: If I want to add/drop a UGE course, can I apply directly to the course teacher?

No, add/drop application of UGE courses in the Four Areas must be submitted through CUSIS within the official add/drop period stipulated by the Registration and Examination Section. Students who encounter problems with add/drop of UGE courses on CUSIS can approach Office of University General Education for assistance.

Please refer to FAQ 4 on GEFP website for details of course add/drop of UGFH1000/UGFN1000.


3. Course or Unit Exemption

Q6: Can I use the credits earned from an elective course which is double-coded as a UGE course to fulfil the GE requirement?

If the elective course you took was double-coded with a UGE course in the year you took it and all the enrolment rules are duly observed, you can make an application to the Office of University General Education. Click here to download the application form and submit the application to the Office of University General Education by e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Q7: I've just changed my major programme this year. Last year, I took an elective course offered by my former major department which was double-coded as a GE course. Can I apply for converting the elective credits to GE credits?

Yes. Please check the relevant course enrolment rules stated in the student handbook of the year you took the course. If students of your new major programme are permitted to take the course, you can apply to the Office of University General Education to use the credits to fulfil GE requirements. Click here to download the application form.

Q8: What if I have completed a similar GE course at another institution? Can a waiver be granted?

The course taken should be at academic level comparable to the GE courses offered by CUHK. Application should be made via CUSIS or submitted to Registration & Examination Section (RES) on the prescribed application form together with an official transcript and detailed course description. Please visit the RES webpage for the detailed procedure.

Q9: I was told that students of New Asia/Lee Woo Sing can choose courses from a specified list of UGE courses and have the units earned counted towards the New Asia/Lee Woo Sing College GE requirements. How do I enrol in these courses?

Students of New Asia/Lee Woo Sing College can enrol in the specified UGE courses through the normal course enrolment procedure on CUSIS and apply for re-designation of the units to College GE in the final year of studies. Please refer to the Student Handbook or College websites (New Asia College/Lee Woo Sing College) for the specified course list and application procedures. It is not applicable to students from other colleges.

For more information, please visit Registration & Examinations Section website.


4. GE Course Examination

Q10: How do I apply for an academic appeal?

For UGE courses, all grade appeals must be submitted in writing to the Office of University General Education (OUGE) within two weeks after the release of course grades. OUGE will first consult the course teacher concerned for a review of the course grade. The teacher may decide to revise the grade if a careful review of the assessment component(s) involved justifies the change.

If the matter cannot be resolved by this stage, the student may substantiate the appeal by completing the UGE Grade Appeal Form. A reasonable justification must be provided on the Form. Otherwise, the application may not be accepted.

Upon receipt of the Appeal Form with reasonable justification, the Director of UGE will request the offering department to assign one or more independent teachers to re-assess the written assignment(s), examination answer script(s) and other relevant assessment component(s) of the student.

The result of this second marking will be final; and the grade may remain unchanged, be adjusted upward or downward.

Q11: How do I apply for a make-up examination if I was absent from a GE course examination?

A student who for medical or other compelling reasons is unable to sit for any course examination shall apply in writing with documentary evidence at the earliest possible moment but not later than 5 working days after the examination concerned to the Director of Registry Services for permission for absence. In the case of illness/injury, the application shall be accompanied by a certificate signed or countersigned by the Director of the University Health Service. For details, please refer to General Regulations Governing Full-time Undergraduate Studies (Regulation 9.5 of the Student Handbook).


5. Summer School Programme

Q12: Can I take GE courses in the summer term?

You can take UGE courses offered in the two programmes in the summer term to fulfil GE requirements, namely "University Summer Session" and "International Summer School". However, you cannot take more than two UGE courses in Summer Term. For details of the programme dates, courses and enrolment procedure of the International Summer School, please visit the website of Office of Summer Programmes.


6. General Education Foudation (GEF) Programme

Visit: GEF > The Programme > Programme Content > FAQ